Wednesday 8 January 2014

The Warded Man by Peter Brett

Title: The Warded Man
Series: The Demon Cycle book 1
Author: Peter Brett
Genre: Adult, Fantasy, Fiction, Medieval...ish..., Demons
Source: Printed Book, 2010 edition
Pages: 453 pages
Rating: 5 stars easy. If I could give it more I would in a heart beat



Available at:
Amazon (.ca) • Goodreads ChaptersAmazon (.com)


Blurb (via Goodreads): 
As darkness falls after sunset, the corelings rise--demons who possess supernatural powers and burn with a consuming hatred of humanity. For hundreds of years the demons have terrorized the night, slowly culling the human herd that shelters behind magical wards--symbols of power whose origins are lost in myth and whose protection is terrifyingly fragile. It was not always this way. Once, men and women battled the corelings on equal terms, but those days are gone. Night by night the demons grow stronger, while human members dwindle under their relentless assault. Now, with hope for the future fading, three young survivors of vicious demon attacks will dare the impossible, stepping beyond the crumbling safety of the wards to risk everything in a desperate quest to regain the secrets of the past. Together, the will stand against the night. 

My Review: 
There is something you should all know. This is possible the best book I have ever read. If you have seen my Reviews, and you know how picky and critical I am, you know how much this statement means to me. Peter Brett just went on the fast track to my top 5 favourite authors of all time– very high on that list at that. One of my oldest friends gave me this book and insisted I read it, even though it seemed a little dark for me, I followed his advice and read it. I didn't look back once and I love my friend dearly for introducing me to this fantastic book. 

Now about the book its self. The novel is split into 3 different story lines about 3 completely different people in 3 completely different parts of the world until they finally meet up at the end. Time wise, the book spans over 15 or so years. Not my usual repertoire  At first, I was frustrated with the switching of story lines. Right when one would get good, it would switch to something else. It was absolutely maddening, especially in the beginning, but you soon get into the flow of the other story lines and they are just as addicting as the first. Each story starts off with the main character as a child and you slowly watch them grow up. Peter Brett did this fantastically, never too slow, never too fast, and never spewing useless fluff at his readers to fill in the chapters and more pages. Every single word had a purpose, and every detail was important. 

The character development was phenomenal, the best I think I have ever seen. You see beliefs challenged, and watch as each character, and even some supporting characters, change as time goes forward. You see how other characters effect the main ones and how the main characters effect the others. You understand the reasoning behind the main characters actions, you accept their beliefs in accordance to their personality and upbringing, and you approve (for the most part) of the choices they make in the situation they are in. Everything is incredibly realistic in this aspect and I have never seen an author perfect such a thing to this magnitude. 

I don't really know what else I can say other than the fact I don't really have any complaints about this book. It was absolutely fantastic!!! The friend who lent me the first in the series, knowing how speedily I read (I started this first book last night at 8pm and finished at 6:30pm today while having gone to school in the middle... I sacrificed a lot of sleep on this one), lent me the second in the series that I am going to start the second this post is published. For the record it is called The Desert Spear. I'll keep you all informed in the sequel and if it measures up to the first. 

 Book Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment